Valentines Day is one of those holidays that people have very strong opinions about! Either you love it and go all out, or you hate it and don’t recognize it! I personally don’t understand why people choose not to celebrate it! By now, y’all know I LOVE any reason to celebrate and if there is a theme? EVEN BETTER! The only problem is that sometimes people see Valentines day as “just another holiday where you have to spend a lot of money” but that couldn’t be further from the truth! In our house we don’t feel like holidays are the only time to give gifts so we don’t put too much emphasis on the gifting part. (If I see something Lance would LOVE I save up and buy it for him “just because”. And same goes for Lance! But believe it or not, we aren’t bit gift giving people! To be honest, Lance is MUCH better at giving gifts than I am! haha But spending time together and doing something fun is really what is important!
And then there are the single ladies who think they don’t have anything to do on Valentines day. That is SO not true either! Valentines day doesn’t just have to be dressing up for an expensive dinner! There are so many fun and inexpensive ways to celebrate with your friends AND/OR your significant other! So I came up with a list of 14 cheap things to do on Valentines Day to have fun and make memories without breaking the bank!
- Cook together – Why drop a fortune when you can cook a fancy meal yourself! Pinterest has some amazing ideas for easy gourmet meals that you’ll have as much fun cooking as you’ll have eating!
- Bake something – There is just something to be said about homemade treats! Think about what your partner or besties like best and put a personal spin on it for bonus points!
- Host a potluck – This can be for your couple friends or your single girlfriends! It’s best when you give people specific tasks. Make sure you have appetizers, main dishes, side dishes and deserts covered so you don’t end up with 8 salads and nothing else!
- Volunteer – Grab your girls or your man and head to the local Senior Citizens Center with some candies and Valentines Day cards to hand out! You will MAKE THEIR DAY while also having fun yourself!
- Plan a themed movie night – And I’m not just talking about rom-coms! If you and your girlfriends are feeling less than romantic, pick a thriller or sci fi film (if you’re into that sort of thing) and then hop on pinterest to look up themed snacks for the film!
- Host a game night – Invite your best girls and guys and have them bring a bottle of wine and their game face for a night of throwback board games! If you’re wanting a bit more of a romantic atmosphere, plan a game night for 2! A little friendly competition can be quite romantic!
- Babysit – OK, hear me out… If you and your significant other have been together a while and think you might want to start a family one day, this is the perfect opportunity to test out your maternal/paternal skills while also getting bonus points with a family or friend who needs a night out without their kids! And besides, once the kids go to sleep you’ll get to have some alone time!
- Stay in bed all day – why limit breakfast in bed to just breakfast?? Plan a whole movie day and order in your meals! You don’t need to buy a new dress to feel romantic. Sometimes his old tshirt and some fuzzy socks can do the trick!
- Have an in-home spa day – Again, this can be with your man OR your besties! If it’s with your man, just get some candles, oils (or make your own!) an make sure to look up some massage techniques!
- Watch the sunset together – Pack some wine and snacks and head to a spot where you can sit and watch the sunset! Besides, sunsets are one of the most BEAUTIFUL things to see and absolutely free!
- Go stargazing – download an app like Skymap, grab a blanket, and head outside! This is also fun to do if you have kids that want to be included in the festivities!
- Go gadget free – This could be hard but it’s sometimes fun to totally unplug! Plan a couple hours where you aren’t on your phone, watching TV, or checking the computer and just hang out! Light a fire, eat a meal, and spend some time talking to each other!
- Binge watch your favorite show – If unplugging isn’t your thing… maybe you should take the opposite approach! Grab some snacks and all of the cozy blankets in the house and start a new series on Netflix!
- Take a class together – There are some amazing and cheap options for different classes you can take! If cooking is your thing, take a class to learn how to make homemade pizzas or chocolates! If crafting is your thing, take a pottery class or a painting class together!
Really, all that matters is that you are with the people you love. You don’t have to spend a lot of money to show someone you care about them! And I know Valentine’s Day is sometimes considered a “Hallmark Holiday” but I think any excuse to celebrate is worth it!!
ALSO: Lauren James is having a Valentines Day clearance sale that ends on Valentines Day! Use code “BEMINE40” for an additional 40% off sale items before they sell out!
Shop This Look