HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!! I mean… this year is extra special because BYE 2020 amiright?? This year, like all years before, I am making my infamous Black Eyed Pea Soup that will impress everyone from a picky toddler to a hungover husband! (lol) It’s definitely an elevated recipe from your typical soup and I think you’re just going to LOVE it! The best part? It’s a crockpot recipe!
I suggest starting this recipe on NYE before the fun even starts! Go ahead and chop your veggies and soak your beans in cold water to reconstitute. That way you’ll be ready to just dump it all in the next morning with minimal effort!
So on New Years morning, we start by cooking down some bacon to render the fat, but we’re also going to dump the bacon into the crockpot because YOLO IT’S 2021! Then we sauté the veggies in that bacon fat. YUM. You can use any veggies you want here, but I like to use an onion, bell pepper, carrots, and garlic! (just be sure to add the garlic last so it doesn’t burn!)
Once that is cooked dump it all into the crockpot as well! Now it’s the easy part! Just dump in your beans that you soaked all night (there is a quick cook method on the bag as well!) and then dump 1 can of spicy Rotel (if you’re into that sort of thing. Mild will work as well!) and 1lb of smoked sausage and your collard greens. Next add in 4 cups of beef broth (homemade if you have it! I have a great recipe for healthy and delicious Bone Broth here!) and 2 cups of water and season with a little salt and pepper. DONE. Easy enough, right? Just cook on high for a couple hours and then you’ll be on your way to good luck and lots of health and wealth in 2021! I hope you love it!
Black Eyed Pea Soup
- Crock Pot or Instant Pot
- 1 bag Dried Black Eyed Peas
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 1 can spicy or mild rotel
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups collard greens or kale
- 1 tsp salt & pepper
- Soak dried beans overnight in cold water
- Pre-chop veggies if you can, it really helps save time on New Years morning!
- Sauté 4 strips of bacon, remove and chop, then add to crock pot (leaving the rendered fat!)
- Sauté onion, bell pepper and carrots in bacon fat for 5 minutes until soft
- add garlic to sauté pan and continue to cook for another minute
- add all of the veggies into the crockpot
- add 1 can of rotel to crock pot
- add smoked sausage and collard greens to crock pot and season the greens with salt and pepper
- add in beef broth and water, close lid, and cook on high for 2 hours
The perfect complement to this soup on New Years Day is a Bloody Mary bar! Just have a mild good mix on hand with a few different hot sauce options to spice it up! I also put out vodka and tequila!! Then for toppings, always set out some cucumber quarters, pickled okra, pickled asparagus, and bacon if you’re feeling fancy!
I was drinking a Bloody Maria in my video which is my new obsession! It’s a south of the border take on your favorite Bloody Mary and uses tequila instead of vodka! You can find the recipe here!