What started as a wine induced cooking session with my husband has turned into a weekly series where we drink wine (Hey Mama Wines to be exact) and cook together! I’ll be making meals that might seem intimidating but I KNOW you can do it and your family is going to love them!
First up, we’re starting with a bang and making Seafood Mac & Cheese! Y’all, this Mac is SO good, everyone in your family will love it! It’s also the perfect meal to make for a friend when you want to show her how much you care and impress her at the same time!
You really can’t go wrong with a homemade 3-cheese sauce, tender shrimp and crab meat, and a crispy panko topping! You can even add in some cooked lobster, bay scallops, or any other seafood you love!
Seafood Mac & Cheese
- food processor
- dutch oven
- cassarole dish
- 1 (16-ounce) package Corkscrew macaroni, cooked 2 minutes less than al dente, drained and rinsed with cold water
- 7 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1/2 lb. medium shrimp peeled, deveined and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned panko bread crumbs
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated swiss cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 lb cooked lump crab meat pick through to remove any shell pieces
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees .
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring constantly, just until pink (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter. Transfer 2 tablespoons of the melted butter to a medium bowl and toss with the panko bread crumbs.
- Add diced onions and garlic to melted butter in saucepan and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add flour and cook for an additional minute, stirring constantly.
- Add milk and whisk until smooth and there are no lumps.
- Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until thickened, whisking constantly.
- Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and Old Bay Seasoning.
- Remove saucepan from burner. Add cheeses and stir until smooth. Fold in macaroni, shrimp and crab meat.
- Transfer to an 2.5 qt casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Top evenly with buttery panko bread crumb mixture.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until bread crumb topping is golden brown and sauce is bubbling around edges.