This post is sponsored by General Mills, but all opinions are my own.
It’s beginning to look a lot like the holiday season, which means it’s time to start making memories indoors with the family! In our house we absolutely love movie nights! It can be casual and still memorable but we sometimes like to elevate our evening with a cozy pallet setup in the living room and themed snacks!
Speaking of themed snacks, please tell me you remember your mom making Chex™ mix for you growing up?? I know I do! I always loved seeing a new box of Chex in the pantry because I knew something fun (and delicious) was about to happen! I wanted to recreate those memories with my own children so this year I went to the Chex website to find PAGES of fun recipe ideas to try! From kid friendly, to spicy, to special occasion snacks, and even gluten free recipes! They literally make it TOO easy to create a fun snack for your family! (can I get an AMEN??)
And to make it even easier, you can find all of the ingredients at your local Walmart! Did you know Walmart was started in my hometown in Northwest Arkansas? Crazy right? Fun Fact… 90% of Americans live within 15 miles of a Walmart! So there is literally no reason NOT to get out and grab a box of Chex™ to make a fun holiday recipe for your family tonight!
OK, now back to me. I mean, BACK TO MY MOVIE NIGHT! OK yall, we are a salty & sweet family. And I’m not just talking about our personalities. We love salty and sweet snacks together so when I found the Clark Griswold™ Nuthouse Chex™ Mix I knew it was going to be a win!! I can’t believe how easy it was to make! It was also delicious! I wish I could send you all some but unfortunately my kids took all of our leftovers after our movie night to our neighbors as little holiday treats. (so I can check that off my list!) It was so good that I wanted to share the recipe with you today! I know you’re going to absolutely LOVE it!
- 6 cups Corn or Rice Chex™ cereal
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups mini pretzel twists
- 1 cup white vanilla baking chips
- 4 tablespoons holiday nonpareils
- 2 cups salted mixed nuts
- 1 cup honey-roasted peanuts
- 1 cup candy-coated chocolate candies (red and green)
- Line 2 large rimmed baking pans with wax paper. In large microwaveable bowl, add cereal
- In small microwaveable bowl, microwave butter on High for 20 to 30 seconds, until melted. Stir in sugar and microwave on High 30 to 60 seconds, or until sugar is starting to dissolve. Pour over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
- Microwave on High for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring after every minute, until thoroughly glazed. Spread cereal onto one of the baking pans. Spread pretzels onto remaining baking pan.
- In small microwaveable bowl, microwave chips on High for 45 to 60 seconds, stirring after 45 seconds, until chips are starting to melt. If necessary, continue heating in 15-second increments, stirring after each until chips are melted and smooth. Transfer melted chips to small resealable food storage bag and cut small corner off one end of bag.
- Drizzle on top of cereal and pretzels and top with sprinkles. Cool 20 to 30 minutes, or until drizzle is set. Carefully break apart cereal and pretzels; transfer to large serving bowl. Stir in nuts and candies.
PRO TIP: make a double batch and put some in a mason jar with cute ribbon and a holiday greeting for teachers and neighbors! This recipe can also be altered to fit any theme you’re going for! Just change the colors of the candies and sprinkles and you’re good to go!
I hope yall enjoy this recipe as much as we did! I wish I could stay longer but the movie is about to start! 🙂
NATIONAL LAMPOON’S CHRISTMAS VACATION © WBEI